Monday, August 13, 2007

J.A.M.E.S. Watts

The Garden state is in need of a solution. J.a.m.e.s. Watts born and bred in jersey is the next best represenative to do so. He's been buzzing all over the internet after the release of 3 mixtapes, 2 Rik Cordero directed videos, and doing shows in and out of state. With the support of his family, friends, and fans Watts is in the process of becoming something major. It's only a matter of time before you'll be promoting the same slogan.. The game needs James.




Herfection: Describe a day in the life of James Watts.

James: Days differ. Like, there's no such thing as an average day for me because so many random things pop up that lead me in different directions. I spend a lot of time on the 'net., oddly enough, doing very “un-rapper” like activities. I don't really check out the hip hop sites like that anymore, because most rap stuff on the web is so OD. But..I do like reading about tech., and not just cell phone/blackberry/sidekick tech. I mean like...computer related crap. Robots! Androids, new products coming out in Japan, artificial intelligence, that kinda thing. Rap is...it’s stale. It’s boring right now. [Things are] crazy when the most important thing we've got going on is that two of our biggest artists are going head to head for the best first week sales. That definitely makes a definitive statement about where music is at currently.

Herfection: Yeah, that’s odd that Ye' switched his date. Makes you wonder…

James: I’m a BIG Kanye fan. [He did that because he] wants to trump 50.

Herfection: [Laughs] Oh really? Big Kanye fan, huh? I am as well.

James: HUGE. Like, not “CD” Kanye, not “LR” Kanye, like..."Get Well Soon" Kanye! When dude threw Elton John’s "Still Standing" on after "Through The Wire”, that was sick! I think it’s mostly because I can identify with him. His background, his stance on things -- we both grew up a lot differently than most of our rap peers, so I think I connect with him because of that. Even moreso because he brought a swagger to real hip hop that was missing. He brought an attitude and a “cool” that Mos and Talib didn't have. Somewhere along the line “real hip hop" became synonymous with preachy consciousness and rap nerd snobbish-ness [laughs], and all of the "commercial" rappers were the cool ones. Kanye made “real” shit cool again.

Herfection: That’s a good explanation of what it’s evolved to.

James: It’s sad. At one point you had real MC's who were cool – [we had] people u could be a FAN of and idolize. Like Nas early on? He was DUMB cool. Those Illmatic videos were THE COOLEST! "Aint Hard To Tell", with the huge cell phone in the snow? The waves? The hook part? The North Face bib? THAT was cool. AND he was spitting some ridiculous stuff. Method Man was COOL. Keith Murray was cool. Then, somewhere down the road we lost it.

Herfection: Yeah, times change. This generation is different; it’s about different things, [like] do whatever makes you famous.

James: Indeed, you’re very right. They've got the cool, but no rules, no awareness, no consciousness. The records kids my age had taught you how to be cool AND be aware of the world around you

"everything in the world that glitters ain't gold,
for love, money, and sex, people sell their souls..
lose control
brains put on cruise control,
we can't help the hand we delt but can chose to fold.."



Herfection: We need that back.

James: [Some of it is] down right insulting! If you're in the club dancing to that [some of this music] you should be ashamed of yourself! It’s buffoonery! Granted, it’s necessary also, but the scales have tipped crazy. Like, this is ALL the mainstream media wants to fuck with?

Herfection: It’s embarrassing. So, let’s go back to your favorite rappers right now. You’ve said you love Kanye – and I understand that you’re also a fan of Jay-Z and Lupe Fiasco.

James: Yep, those are my top 3. If I could create the perfect rapper, and God knows I'm trying to [laughs], I'd create a hybrid of those three. And it's odd, because I was a fan of all three of them before they got really big. Like, I was a fan before they all had a real legitimate fan "base", so none of these comments are on some internet fan geekery.

Herfection: I know you recently performed at a S.O.B’s [a major concert venue in New York City] -- how did the show go?

James: It's crazy. My show at S.O.B's was on June 18th; they had that whole [Hot 97] jam session [featuring Kanye West, Mos Def, Talib Kweli & others] exactly one month later, July 18th. Besides that being one of the wildest events in recent hip hop history...mind you, I'm bugging like, “I was just on that stage last month!”, I've been to a lot of shows at that venue. It's one of, if not my FAVORITE, venues in the city. And the show that I did was crazy! It was actually one of my best. So, I feel like I put on a hell of a performance -- brought in a mess load of people, built a great relationship with the club…[all of that]. But, the night of that Hot 97 event, I got NO love over there, and it really hurt my feelings. My manager, one of my best friends actually, and I tried to get in, and got no love. It was almost like the night I rocked never happened. I'm not saying this to be a dick or to cause some faux controversy; I'm just saying, in a public venue, that it really hurt my feelings. Very few things make me want to cry these days – and that shit made me want to cry that night [Laughs]. No lie!!!

Herfection: Thats not cool, when you thought you were appreciated. So what do you think is the most important lesson you've learned from this rap game?

James: Not to take things so seriously. That’s one important lesson. But I think the most important thing that -- well, I don’t know if it’s something I learned, but it’s something that I’ve gotten back in touch with. That’s to never do something unless you heart is in it. Do what your gut tells you is right, and have love and passion beyond your actions. Do that and you’ll always be okay. I think in this game, and in life, that’s one of the secrets to unlocking true happiness.

"it's getting to where this is my life and everything comes 2nd
i swear that i'ma get there.. just give me a second."


Herfection: Good advice. Last Jersey performance was 3 days ago? How did that go?

James: That performance was real love. It was at “Meet The Producers”, which is a beat battle in Jerz that’s been running for 3 years now. I got a lot of genuine love from the crowd out there, and met a lot of cool people. It kinda made me sad though, because anytime I do something in NJ I realize what a bad place we’re at in regards to hip-hop. I think NJ has a serious identity crisis and a huge inferiority complex

Herfection: Maybe you can fix that.

James: I hope so. It's weird, [because] recently, where I'm from has become a big priority to me. Not only musically, but just in regards to the state of things over here. It's bad. We have a lot of gang violence out here, a lot of kids I know are starting to go the wrong way. I think it's partially due to the fact that we don't have any good current examples of what you can do as an alternative. Whereas, kids in the Chi, they have a Kanye and Lupe -- you can't deny that kind of thing gives them hope, it makes them strive for something different. Even in NY -- I don’t think, by comparison, it's as wild out there as over here. I mean, bad things happen everywhere but I think even if you grow up in the 'hood in New York City, you have so much more access to different ways of life. I think kids from the city, even the ones from the projects, are so much more aware; they're more sophisticated because they're exposed different things, different people, everyday -- even if it's just on the train. Where I'm from...you're just at where you're at. There's no subway to get on to go see Rockerfeller Center, .or Trump Plaza. It's just your town, your block, and I think the kids feel boxed in. Now, musically, people say we're the little cousin of NYC, but I won't even give us that much credit. We haven't even earned that much in recent times. In the 90's you had Naughty, Queen Latifah, Lords Of The Underground, Artifacts, Redman -- a lot of people were doing their thing, and Jersey was recognized as a hip-hop destination. Right now, we've got a lot of work to do.

Herfection: That’s true. Do you like Joe Budden?

James: I love Budden. I think he's the best thing we've got going right now, and I don't even think he realizes how good he is. He could bring this whole thing together; I honestly believe Joe has Jay-Z potential. Like, he has it in him to be “that guy”.

Herfection: That’s a big statement. He's pretty deep after I listened to his first album.. I love “10 Minutes”.

James: Yeah…he's deep, introspective, has street cred; [and] he has such a big personality [so] he can go for that mainstream appeal. He's such a well rounded MC. I think there's a conspiracy against him [laughs]. People are afraid of him ‘cause they know what he can be.

Herfection: I don’t know; I don’t think people have given him enough of a chance; [then again] i don't think he's concerned either.

James: That too; one album is not enough, you're right -- but he's not doing as much as he can either. I think he's downtrodden. The industry has hurt his spirit.

Herfection: When’s your next show?

James: I actually cleared my calendar for August and September; nothing's on tap as of yet but that's not because I couldn't get booked [laughs]. I'm actually working on something different, [something] a little outside of the box. I'm in the process of renovating my grind a little bit; knocking down a few walls, installing new fixtures [laughs].

Herfection: [Laughs] Change is good.

James: Indeed it is. And honestly, at least in New York, I’m not too crazy about the promoters out here. The game is kinda fucked up, and independent artists get “stepchild-ded”.

Herfection: That has to be true, there’s so much going on up there…

James: Too much! NYC is so overrated, and I don't say that to diss New York. I just mean, like, the scene. New York is a great city, but when I hear about people trying to move here to get into this, it's like..."don't do it! reconsider! read some litter--churr on the subject..."

Herfection: [Laughs] Tell em’ Dre! It depends on your purpose though I think; but it is definitely overrated.

James: My father and I were talking about the value of travel, it's opened my eyes up to the world beyond the NYC/NJ area. The world’s a big place [laughs]!

Herfection: It is. For a Southern girl like myself NY is a big deal still; I’d like to experience it because they do say, if you make it there, you know…

James: It’s true because it's tough to make it here, but the reasons why it's tough, they're so lame. It's not like, it takes hustle and perseverance to make it here. It's like, it takes the worst of what people are to make it here. That's just my opinion, though.

Herfection: I can feel where you're coming from. Do you have a specific inspiration? Meaning, what’s your drive or motivation? Why rap?

James: Second part first. Why rap? Because I can't remember when I wasn't doing it, that's how long it's been. I literally started rapping when I was ten, and when i went through that "what's my purpose in life" stage after college, it just made sense. Mind you, I'm still finding my way. but as far as inspiration? I'm inspired by excellence; it doesn't matter what kind, as long as a person is looking to be great at what they do. That inspires me. I went to Rome last year, to the Vatican and I was in Basilica di San Pietro -- St. Peter's Basilica -- and looking at the craftsmanship of that building changed my life. Seeing some of the churches in Europe that began construction four hundred years ago -- and that they're still not done -- that's dedication!! It made me rethink a lot of what I've been doing, gave me new perspective. So I'm moved by people who do great things -- not for money, or for fraudulent fame, but for true, God-honest greatness. But on a much lighter note [laughter], I'm inspired by a lot of that tech stuff I was talking about earlier….and design. I’m really into design as of late..

Herfection: So you're staying in the house lately, and your schedule is cleared for a little -- what’s next for Watts?

James: I've got a few new projects in the planning stages as of right now, recording new music; getting my “biz-nass” correct. It's all on the Q-T, very hush hush; these bum ass rappers think I'm sleeping, and they are SO wrong.

Herfection: [Laughs] Let them be fooled! Okay, well, let’s get to an end here. Tell the good viewers who you are and what your purpose is.

James: My purpose? I'm pursuing excellence, happiness, greatness, respect...and money...[laughs], and fame….but….ahem...of course, for being great and excellent. And who I am? Well that's easy -- J.ust A.nother M.an in the E.veryday S.truggle.


http://www.myspace.com/thegameneedsjames


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

good interview.. gave me a good idea of what kind of emcee he is. made me want to go check some of his music out and add his myspace.... the questions you asked were good ones.. they weren't just yes and no answers, i look forward to more interviews.. your blog is awesome..

jblacco said...

great interview. you are gonna be a FORCE to be dealt with.

Anonymous said...

good read- u asked questions 2 illicit long answers- not the typical standardized type questioning of the usual interview. i dunno why dude felt the need 2 say he was a fan of jay, kanye, & lupe b4 they were 'known', that shits stupid. i cant stand that...

Anonymous said...

Are you coming for my spot? Is the rap journalism game going to have to make way for h.e.r.? :P

h.e.r.fection said...

lol sheesh wit-e, what if you we're that artist and you saw you had fans that had been following behind you before you we're major, you'd like to know :] all love, honored u said good read :D

Unknown said...

good interview...you can definitely tell that the dude is hungry...but you know the pressure is on now...you can't just do one interview!!!...so get on your grind and get us another one ;)

Anonymous said...

NYC overrated? Man, don't let me bring out the wolves lol...But, I completely understand what he meant in reference to kids in the hoods from NYC are more aware, etc. Not all of em, but for the most part, it's a majority to a degree.

I was feeling the interview, seemed interactive and friendly basis. I think you could've dug deeper in regards to your questions, etc., but for the most part, it was solid. Keep it up ma.

Anonymous said...

Loved the interview......very intriguing answers...ill definetly be looking into Mr.Watts!

elizabeth said...

wow, the interview had great flow.
hmmm, i think the questions were too basic but they were good ones.
you ran around the yes/no answer questions with a different approach, which was great.

the interview does leave the reader compelled to visit the page and hear what he has to bring, mission accomplished.

the words exhibit good interaction;
the final question, nice touch.
overall good stuff miss heather!

more more more....
im waiting on the next, im sure it will be as great if not better.

thE oLd SouL said...

Excellent job H-Boogie. Unlike a lot of Hip-Hop interviews I read today, you asked questions that helped me get to know him not only as an MC, but as a person. Dudes has his head on straight and made some great points. Especially about being very few MCs out today that youngin' can look up too. Also what he said about Joe Budden was true too. It's a shame he's getting the "red headed stepchild treatment" at Def Jam. I also listened to dude's song. Ya boy has skils, no question. Not to mention he has a dope MC name, in what J.A.M.E.S. stands for.

Jesse Boykins III said...

U r Good!!

Anonymous said...

J.A.M.E.S. SPEAKING!! Much love to everyone for taking to time to read my long-windedness...H Boogie, you're the BEST!

Quote: NYC overrated? Man, don't let me bring out the wolves

I stand by that comment. In regards to people moving from all over the world to come to NYC and get involved in the music scene, it definitely IS overrated. This game, this industry -- it's ruined more lives than helped it. Otherwise, I love NYC...second home.

5000.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Good Job H. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

just another man in the everyday struggle... aiiiiight... I'm diggin' that.

"They've got the cool, but no rules, no awareness, no consciousness."
so true.
-all shine and no substance-

GOT to respect all them older cats that made cool [with-more importantly- something to actually say] DIGESTABLE

good stuff H

...?-Mann

Anonymous said...

I'm late on this, but great read.
Keep doing ya thang ma.
Great start.

h.e.r.fection said...

thank you t dot!!

Anonymous said...

...And it's odd, because I was a fan of J.A.M.E.S Watts before he got really big...

He's such a genius.

Good Job.

Zen.